Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Archos 5 Internet Tablet

I recently purchased the 32GB Archos 5 Internet Tablet. I upgraded from the 16GB Microsoft Zune HD.

Here are the specs:

Display - 800x480 4.8" TFT LCD
CPU - Main 800Mhz ARM Cortex-A8 32bit
Additional 32bit DSP @ 430Mhz
RAM - 256MB SDRAM
Storage - 32GB Flash + Expandable MicroSD Slot
OS - Android 1.6 Donut
Built-in GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth 2.0

To be perfectly honest I was a little dissapointed with the Archos 5 right out of the box. It is sluggish and the touch screen is not as responsive as my HTC Evo. The Android OS installed is a dumbed-down Archos version that doesn't have access to the Android Market by default (there is a hack that allows you to install it however). The built-in GPS isn't the best either, I am not able to get a satellite signal on the Archos while indoors.

After using the Archos for a week and getting it all setup just how I wanted it however I have to say now I really enjoy it. A firmware upgrade took care of the performance issues I was seeing right out of the box and having the Android Market installed opened up a whole world of apps that I didn't have access to before. I installed CoPilot GPS software and using it with the WiFi adapter disabled seems to improve GPS signal.

The audio and video quality are outstanding and I honestly have to say if you are looking for an all in one unit (GPS, MP3, Video) the Archos is a great option. I use it in my truck with a $15 window mount I found on eBay, and it is a very useful tool paired with the WiFi tether from my HTC Evo.

No comments:

Post a Comment