Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Digeste.dll is not a valid windows image

The inital complaint was that this message popped up when the machine booted into Windows XP, and once they clicked OK on the box the desktop was blank and they could only push the power button to shut off the computer.

When I fired up the PC I booted directly into Safe-Mode first and noticed that explorer.exe kept crashing and restarting, so I knew I was dealing with a virus. I booted to the desktop and saw the message about digeste.dll was actually in a window titled "dwwin.exe Bad Image". Explorer still kept crashing and eventually didn't restart itself. I could manually start it by opening task manger and starting it in a new task. But it would just start the crasing and restarting all over again. I opened a command prompt and did a regsvr32 /u digeste.dll in c:\windows\system32 - I then deleted digeste.dll. Upon reboot I was able to use Webroots SpySweeper that was already installed on the system to run a full system scan and remove all other infections. I then installed AVG anti-virus as the system did not have any anti-virus software installed. A scan of the registry and HiJack came back clean. Problem solved.

1 comment: